Skip to main content

New You University

I'm just going to say this right now:
Don't Skip Breakfast!

Skipping breakfast is like saying, "I'm not really serious in changing my health." If that's you, then anything I write won't help you at all. Whatever plan you develop in changing to a healthy life style must ultimately YOUR plan. You have to own it, mold it, tweak it. You must accept responsibility for it. However, don't skip breakfast. Remember, you have to eat to do stuff, including a workout. (For that matter, don't skip lunch and dinner, either).

What should you eat for breakfast? For me, breakfast is when I consume much of my carbs, fiber, and whole grains for the day. My initial protein intake of the day comes at breakfast. Calcium and vitamin D are part of this as well. A couple of eggs for breakfast is a good choice, just don't overdo eggs. Add some whole grain toast to it. Certain cereals can be used.

Concerning cereal...cereal can be a decent part of breakfast. Pay attention to the nutrition facts panel on the side of the box. Of course, this is something to pay attention to for all the foods you eat. This will help you pick out cereal (and all food) that will meet your nutritional needs.

Pay attention to what the manufacturer sets as a serving size. I like to use grams instead of cup size. Measuring cups measure volume while grams measure the mass (weight) of your cereal. Grams will give you a more accurate amount.

Consider how many calories are in one serving size.



Look at the fat content. This particular cereal contains very little fat.






Check out the sodium content. Sodium doesn't necessarily add weight, but too much sodium a day can stress out your blood pressure and your kidneys. Any sodium comes from milk. Fiber is pretty decent. Make sure when you up your fiber, you up your water intake. Fiber works best in conjunction with water.

No added sugar to this cereal. I add three-quarters of a teaspoon of sugar. That gives me 6 grams of added sugar. (I always measure out my sugar, if and when I do use it. There are 8 grams of sugar per teaspoon of granulated sugar. In that teaspoon is 45 calories, so watch it!)
Notice the protein is 6 grams. This is a good cereal, unless you have issues with gluten.

Take a look at the other vitamin and minerals. Look at the ingredients. I don't use skim milk, but  Lowfat 1%.  I use a half-cup of milk. So, the milk plus the three-quarter teaspoon of sugar will add to the calorie count.






Remember, don't be afraid to measure and weigh your food. I know it seems un-American. But, you're building a new you, so measure. Once in the habit you'll see it's not a silly notion. Measure your milk, measure your added sugar and salt. Measure out a serving size of cereal. Use a food scale. It's not hard.

 This one is electronic. I wake up/turn on the scale and select grams using the unit button. I place an empty bowl. On this scale if I press the on/off button it will set the weight of the bowl to zero. Then, I add my cereal until I get close to the recommended serving size.







A scale like this is very easy to use. The following link is a similar food scale. You can use this link and look at it or go on to peruse other scales. Here's also a link to Post Shredded Wheat (spoon size). I highly recommend it.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before You Start...

Wait!  Before you get started... My biggest mistake before I started my journey toward a healthy lifestyle was not getting any kind of physical or consulting with anyone. It's in my nature to do things myself. I read information in book form and online sources. I went to WebMD to calculate my BMI which is based on weight and height. Unfortunately, I missed a step. I didn't know anything else about my condition. I knew my blood pressure was normal, but it was moving towards the high zone. I didn't know the condition of my heart. Because I was 39 at the time, I didn't think my heart was a problem. The good news is that my heart did not give out. However, when I first started an exercise routine, I needed to get my heart in condition. Yes, I felt pain in my arms and legs from my muscles which is to be expected. However, until my heart and lungs began to get stronger, I had little endurance. This could have been disastrous. Had my heart been in worse shape I coul

Let's Build a New You!

Think of this process as building a new you. If you build a house, you know you're going to take measurements.  After your visit to your health care provider, find out what your daily caloric intake should be. Find out what your nutritional needs are (such as protein intake, fiber, carbs, and vitamins and minerals). Remember, calories are not bad. You need calories to live. Our life is a process of taking in calories and burning them. It's what's in those calories that's important. You really want your calories to give you as much of your nutritional needs as possible minus all the things not so good for you such as sugar, sodium, and fat. (Okay, I know there's been some new findings about fat, but I'll save that for another post). For instance, a bowl of oatmeal may have the same calories as a bag of French fries. However, the oatmeal is far more nourishing than the fries (Okay, I know you're doing a Homer Simpson right now. "Mm,

Too Many Fires

Just when I thought I was going to spend time laying out my fitness story, I went and opened an online store for kids. Among the items I'm selling are things I hope will encourage kids and families to be physically active. Okay, I'm also selling toys and some clothes, too. As for this blog for healthy average Joes, I'm putting together my thoughts on flax seed and broccoli, so stay tuned. One of the most important mantras I say to myself is "doing something is better than doing nothing." I explain more on that, too. Once I get this online store thing figured out.