Skip to main content

Fiber-ific Thoughts

Okay, this post starts out crude. But, how can I discuss fiber in any other terms. So, just deal with it! It's for your health!

Fiber...it used to be called roughage. You can't build a healthier new you without it.

According to the Mayo Clinic web site, fiber helps you with bowel movements. It adds bulk to your stool making it easier to pass. However, it also prevents from having overly loose stools too. So, it helps to keep constipation away without making you all watery when you go. 

Look, constipation is no fun.


One of the things I hate about being human is having to deal with these bodily functions. When you can't go or have a hard time going, it's like not getting enough sleep. It becomes a huge problem and will impact everything you do. In fact, I think sleep and constipation are somewhat related. Constipation can impact your sleep cycle and your sleep cycle impacts your gastro-intestinal system. Something that is linked since infancy.

Not only does it help with bowel movements, but it also keeps your bowels healthy overall. Again, according to Mayo Clinic in the same web page, it can keep down hemorrhoids and diverticulitis-type diseases. 

There are two types of fiber: soluble and non-soluble. Soluble fiber can reduce cholesterol and help control blood sugar.* Insoluble fiber can keep away diabetes type 2.* Of course, it will not cure diabetes, but may help manage it.

When the boxes of oatmeal and other oat-based cereal such as Cheerios claim it's good for reducing cholesterol, they are referring to the soluble fiber content of oats. Back in my post showing how easy it is to microwave oatmeal, the serving size I use provides 3 grams. My last physical, including a round of blood work, showed my cholesterol is well within normal. So, there must be some truth to it.

If you go on and read more from the Mayo Clinic on how much fiber a person should get daily, it becomes a daunting task. When you realize how much fiber-rich food you have to consume, it seems impossible. I strive to get as much as I can. I have to admit, I don't quite make 30 grams a day. 

I try and get at least 3 grams of soluble fiber a day and 10 to 15 grams of non-soluble fiber. I like oats and beans, so it makes it easy for me. I don't think taking fiber supplements is a bad idea if you just can't get enough fiber-rich foods.

I can tell you if you do increase your fiber intake, drink lots of water. This is from personal experience. Fiber may make it easier to go, but if you don't drink enough water, it may actually lead to constipation. Then, you'll wonder why fiber isn't working for you. 

Hey, Metamucil has been around seemingly forever. You have to mix it with water. It's a fiber supplement that you have to take with water. Can't stand oatmeal or beans. This could be a solution for you!




*Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/fiber/art-20043983

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before You Start...

Wait!  Before you get started... My biggest mistake before I started my journey toward a healthy lifestyle was not getting any kind of physical or consulting with anyone. It's in my nature to do things myself. I read information in book form and online sources. I went to WebMD to calculate my BMI which is based on weight and height. Unfortunately, I missed a step. I didn't know anything else about my condition. I knew my blood pressure was normal, but it was moving towards the high zone. I didn't know the condition of my heart. Because I was 39 at the time, I didn't think my heart was a problem. The good news is that my heart did not give out. However, when I first started an exercise routine, I needed to get my heart in condition. Yes, I felt pain in my arms and legs from my muscles which is to be expected. However, until my heart and lungs began to get stronger, I had little endurance. This could have been disastrous. Had my heart been in worse shape I coul

Let's Build a New You!

Think of this process as building a new you. If you build a house, you know you're going to take measurements.  After your visit to your health care provider, find out what your daily caloric intake should be. Find out what your nutritional needs are (such as protein intake, fiber, carbs, and vitamins and minerals). Remember, calories are not bad. You need calories to live. Our life is a process of taking in calories and burning them. It's what's in those calories that's important. You really want your calories to give you as much of your nutritional needs as possible minus all the things not so good for you such as sugar, sodium, and fat. (Okay, I know there's been some new findings about fat, but I'll save that for another post). For instance, a bowl of oatmeal may have the same calories as a bag of French fries. However, the oatmeal is far more nourishing than the fries (Okay, I know you're doing a Homer Simpson right now. "Mm,

New You University

I'm just going to say this right now: Don't Skip Breakfast! Skipping breakfast is like saying, "I'm not really serious in changing my health." If that's you, then anything I write won't help you at all. Whatever plan you develop in changing to a healthy life style must ultimately YOUR plan. You have to own it, mold it, tweak it. You must accept responsibility for it. However, don't skip breakfast. Remember, you have to eat to do stuff, including a workout. (For that matter, don't skip lunch and dinner, either). What should you eat for breakfast? For me, breakfast is when I consume much of my carbs, fiber, and whole grains for the day. My initial protein intake of the day comes at breakfast. Calcium and vitamin D are part of this as well. A couple of eggs for breakfast is a good choice, just don't overdo eggs. Add some whole grain toast to it. Certain cereals can be used. Concerning cereal...cereal can be a decent part of breakfast.