Skip to main content

Giving You the Numbers

Here is a snapshot of the spreadsheet I created to help me keep track of calories. At the part where I put exercise, I subtracted from total calories. Sometimes I would also add calories expelled if I mowed the lawn with a push mower, performed yard work, or shoveled snow. I didn't keep track of calories expelled for things like heart beat, breathing, or other autonomic bodily functions.

This may not be perfect science, but it did work for me. This spreadsheet was for my initial weight loss. I no longer use this as now I'm focused on maintaining my health, which is a more difficult challenge.  

What you're seeing here is a snapshot of one day. If my daily total fell under 2000 calories, I added a snack (a reasonable snack) at the end of the day.

Below is a link to a food journal you could buy that would accomplish the same thing. I'm not necessarily advocating for one journal over any other. You can follow the link and then peruse all the journals offered on Amazon. I like using a spreadsheet because it will do all the math for you.

Remember, don't feel weird using food scales and food journals. Okay, even if you feel weird, do it anyway. Keeping track will keep you in control of your health needs. We do it for our finances, why not for a new you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Before You Start...

Wait!  Before you get started... My biggest mistake before I started my journey toward a healthy lifestyle was not getting any kind of physical or consulting with anyone. It's in my nature to do things myself. I read information in book form and online sources. I went to WebMD to calculate my BMI which is based on weight and height. Unfortunately, I missed a step. I didn't know anything else about my condition. I knew my blood pressure was normal, but it was moving towards the high zone. I didn't know the condition of my heart. Because I was 39 at the time, I didn't think my heart was a problem. The good news is that my heart did not give out. However, when I first started an exercise routine, I needed to get my heart in condition. Yes, I felt pain in my arms and legs from my muscles which is to be expected. However, until my heart and lungs began to get stronger, I had little endurance. This could have been disastrous. Had my heart been in worse shape I coul

Let's Build a New You!

Think of this process as building a new you. If you build a house, you know you're going to take measurements.  After your visit to your health care provider, find out what your daily caloric intake should be. Find out what your nutritional needs are (such as protein intake, fiber, carbs, and vitamins and minerals). Remember, calories are not bad. You need calories to live. Our life is a process of taking in calories and burning them. It's what's in those calories that's important. You really want your calories to give you as much of your nutritional needs as possible minus all the things not so good for you such as sugar, sodium, and fat. (Okay, I know there's been some new findings about fat, but I'll save that for another post). For instance, a bowl of oatmeal may have the same calories as a bag of French fries. However, the oatmeal is far more nourishing than the fries (Okay, I know you're doing a Homer Simpson right now. "Mm,

New You University

I'm just going to say this right now: Don't Skip Breakfast! Skipping breakfast is like saying, "I'm not really serious in changing my health." If that's you, then anything I write won't help you at all. Whatever plan you develop in changing to a healthy life style must ultimately YOUR plan. You have to own it, mold it, tweak it. You must accept responsibility for it. However, don't skip breakfast. Remember, you have to eat to do stuff, including a workout. (For that matter, don't skip lunch and dinner, either). What should you eat for breakfast? For me, breakfast is when I consume much of my carbs, fiber, and whole grains for the day. My initial protein intake of the day comes at breakfast. Calcium and vitamin D are part of this as well. A couple of eggs for breakfast is a good choice, just don't overdo eggs. Add some whole grain toast to it. Certain cereals can be used. Concerning cereal...cereal can be a decent part of breakfast.